LEPC Meeting VBC EOC December 20, 2018, Minutes
Call to Order:
Bob Kirk called the LEPC Meeting to order at 8:35 a.m.
Introductions were made, and we met new additions Bob Wilson, Pete Lumbart, and returning member Kyleen Gray. Dwight Taylor did attend also; he is a plant manager from a BASF in Mattawan and wanted to see what we were all about.
Review of Last Meeting Minutes:
The group acknowledged they had reviewed the minutes. Dick Godfrey moved to approve the minutes from October 18, 2017 and this was seconded by Ken High. All were in favor.
Nominations and Vote:
• Chairman - Dick Godfrey nominated Bob Kirk and Ken High seconded; all were in favor.
• Vice-Chair - Ken High nominated Wayne Polomcak and Dick Godfrey seconded; all were in favor.
• Paw Paw Earthen Dam (Briggs Pond) Breech: They have decided on the repair they are going to do. They are going to do another Earthen Dam basically with a mat on top; price wise this is going to be good.
o Meet to Update Dam Failure EOP: Bob has reached out to DEQ and will be meeting with Paw Paw to go over their plan to prepare for something like this in the future.
• Palisades Plant:
o Status: Dates have almost been set for the upcoming drill.
o Upcoming Drill (RRR): This will hopefully be the next day after the EOC exercises. This is going to end up being tabletops. We may be looking at Covert for a location and are still trying to sort out who needs to be in attendance.
• Contract for Kyle Mead - Farm Sarah Title III Sites: Kyle has gotten a couple to Bob. He has gotten pictures of 1 and is working on pictures of another. It is going fairly well now. It was slow going at first because of the harvest season.
• BASF - Meeting: Had a good meeting with BASF and were able to look over their plans. We will be talking with Berrien County Hazmat to see if they will take a tour of their facility and will be tying that in with Coke-Cola.
• Coke-Cola Plant Tour: Took a tour of the plant. Reviewed their site security and safety plans.
• Crop Production Services Meeting - Meeting with Berrien Hazmat Team: Berrien County Hazmat Team did make it down to take the tour of Crop Production Services and were in the Crop Production Tour in Berrien, Cass and Van Buren Counties.
• Anti-freeze/Oil Spill - Sister Lakes: A front end loaded tipped off a soft shoulder and spilled fuel and anti-freeze. This happened on November 6 and they were not able to start cleanup until November 7. The cleanup went quickly. According to them, DEQ and Road and Drain Commissions were notified.
• Upcoming Classes: Passed around flyers for classes coming up. Tier 2 Reporting coming to Michigan. Looking for people to host On-Scene Crisis Leadership and Building Community Engagement Course.
• Tier II Reports: Bob is starting to get these in now.
Call to Close:
Richard Freestone motioned to close the LEPC Meeting at 8:51 a.m. and this was seconded by Jennifer Zordan.
Scheduled for Wednesday, February 21, 2018 at 8:30 a.m